Friday, October 10, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO: A DIVERSE CITY FILLED WITH CULTURE


I took a "Cruisn' the Castro" tour yesterday for work. I learned a lot about San Francisco's LGBT community, the history of homosexuals, how Harvey Milk started the Castro neighborhood and where the gay flag got its start. I never really gave much thought about why gays are who they are the and this history lesson ultimately made me proud of who I am.

From the gold rush to why streets are named for famed prostitutes to the AIDS epidemic spreading through the gay neighborhood like the plague to why transexuals are still popular in the city today to how S.F. became the gayest city in the country (arguably the world), I learned a lot!

Volunteering as a docent for the Chicago Architecture Foundation was a really great experience, it taught me just about everything I needed to know about a city I really love. This tour confirmed the reasons on why I enjoy living in another culturally diverse city and I am looking forward to learning even more through future tours!

No comments: