Sunday, October 12, 2008

SAME SEX MARRIAGE



As I reported in my earlier blog, Proposition 8 here in California is up for a vote this Nov. 4th. This proposition is asking residents of California if the law allowing same sex couples should be taken away from the LGBT community. Television advertisements are running all over the place for both sides of the issue. I have noticed one that has resonated with me more than others and unfortunately it is for people to to vote yes/do away with same sex marriages.

The ad twists around a Gavin Newsom (Mayor of San Francisco) speech at a rally where he is motivating the crowd and celebrating the victory of allowing same sex marriage. It then goes on to say that judges in the City (not the residents) decided on allowing this to happen. Churches are not receiving their non-profit status because they don't allow same sex marriages, blah blah blah. It's all another conservative negative twist on what is really happening.

The polls are now showing people are going to vote against allowing these marriages to continue. A few months ago I would have not even cared about it. Now that I have three weddings/celebrations under my belt, I am really angered by the conservative religious right.

Yes, I have attended three gay weddings in a matter of the last 3 months - gay wedding, civil union or whatever is politically correct to call them these days.

Last weekend I went to what amounted to a traditional southern wedding in Atlanta - the only difference was there was two crying grooms at the alter; I went to a ceremony in town at the LGBT Center that was a very relaxed exchange of vows followed by some snacks and juice; about a month ago we went to a pool party reception in wine country that celebrated the love of two men. These were all friends of John, so I felt like an outsider looking in.

This was a great opportunity for me to see what a beautiful thing it is for two people of the same sex to express their love for each other. People who love each other should be able to show it like everyone else, have the same legal rights as everyone else and most importantly - shouldn't be discriminated against.

Why are we deciding to take this portion of the Bible to heart but are relaxed on others? Why does the Catholic church hate on the gay community when 90% of their priests are homosexual?

It is 2008 people, lets progress!

No comments: