Thursday, February 4, 2010

STAY IN THE CLOSET IF YOU WANT A BIG CAREER


Colin Firth received a best actor Oscar nod for his role as a grieving gay professor in Tom Ford's 'A Single Man,' but he acknowledges that his performance did nothing to help gay actors land the plum roles, gay or straight, in Hollywood. Photo credit: W Magazine online.


Reported on huffingtonpost.com:


Firth told reporters at the movie's UK premiere that a gay actor coming out in Hollywood faces professional risks that may not be worth taking.

"There might be risks for a gay actor coming out," he said. "The politics of that are quite complex, it seems to me.

"If you're known as a straight guy, playing a gay role, you get rewarded for that. If you're a gay man and you want to play a straight role, you don't get cast -- and if a gay man wants to play a gay role now, you don't get cast.

"I think it needs to be addressed and I feel complicit in the problem. I don't mean to be. I think we should all be allowed to play whoever -- but I think there are still some invisible boundaries which are still uncrossable."

In December Rupert Everett, who is openly gay, said much of the same, advising gay actors to stay in the closet if they wanted a big career.

**********************************************************************************

"The politics of [coming out of the closet for a job] are quite complex, it seems to me." Colin Firth

"COMPLEX," THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

"Equal opportunity" employers across the nation. Um...yeah right! Being openly gay in a job interview in many parts of the country puts you at an automatic disadvantage - in many career fields, not just the glamorous world of acting.

In 2008-09 I lived in San Francisco for eight months and relocated to Philadelphia without a job as I moved for my partner's career opportunity.

The inevitable first question potential employers in Philadelphia ask: Why the sudden move? Some add an obvious inflection in their voice, like I would you leave SF for Philly - but that's another story entirely.

I simply state I quit my job in SF and settled here because my partner makes the most money in our household and he was relocated here.

WAIT, AM I HANDLING THIS CORRECTLY?

Reflecting on the "almost wins" in my job search, I can't help but think the answer to this question has played against me in a few of my interviews.

Recruiters suggest I approach the interview like I'm going on a date - never reveal too much, project complete confidence, display a cool demeanor and never look desperate. Which begs the question, am I revealing too much?

My answer combined with my volunteer efforts listed on my resume for Equality Forum Philadelphia and AIDS Chicago Marathon raises a flag (a big rainbow flag) for someone who doesn't want to work with a gay man.

No matter how much I firmly believe in, "if they don't like me because I'm gay - I don't want to work for them anyway," I also feel I'm missing out on potential career opportunities because of my new "out and proud" stance.

STANDING UP WITH CONFIDENCE

Living in San Francisco, albeit briefly, I found a great sense of pride in being who I am - a professional American who happens to be gay. I felt fortunate to work for an organization that was led by strong gay leaders.

This is when I decided that sitting "in the closet" in the work place isn't where I wanted to be and I was instilled with a sense of pride for who I am and where I'm going with my career.

My part-time job and volunteer opportunities have kept me sane and help me build confidence since moving to the more "conservative east coast." I've been keeping the faith, forging ahead, standing up with confidence, knowing that an amazing full-time opportunity is right around the corner.

NOT A PITY PARTY

My sexuality has added to the numerous mix of worries, discontent and often hopelessness in my job search - I'm not complaining about my self-induced minority status in my job search, ahhh, well maybe I am.

But, ultimately, I'm looking for an equal playing field - most would believe that to be a fair request - unfortunately it may not be a realistic one!

1 comment:

Pauline said...

I read your blog with interest. My comments are these. YOU CAN HAVE THE BIGGEST AND BEST CAREER IN YOUR LIFE IF YOU GIVE YOURSELF THE OPTION TO HAVE IT. I am saying this kindly and gently. NO employer will give you what you want and jobs are lives in a pizza box...financial, social, built in time and longevity limitations.

You seem quite connected within your community. Why do you not go where the money is going, and where the trends are going. Your sexual preferences can be your greatest asset if you focus on your markets and what you want. I myself am a straight business lady with a home business in health...and that is really where money and fortune is being made today. Jobs are a thing of the past and so are employers. It is a rude awakening, but if you give yourself options, my goodness, it will change your life to unlimited horizons.....and in our business it will optimize your health...Best wishes, PAULINE- WWW.PAPUZ.COM