Thursday, May 7, 2009

DORIS AND DEROSA FREAK OUT RESULTING IN OLD LADY STINK EYE




Doris and DeRosa are the sweetest little pups and have amazing personalities - I love them with all my heart and have been able to spend quality time with them while I have been unemployed. We have been working with them on some of their weaker behavior points as they have this mean streak in them when we go on our walks - not to humans but whenever they see dogs, birds and squirrels.

When Doris spots another dog she will scream really loud and lunge toward DeRosa and nip her - like she wants her to back off and let her play first. DeRosa lets out relentless barks like she is going in for the kill. They both become quiet when I pick them up and hold them in my arms and do fine when I push their butts to the ground, but it's hard to use these tricks in every situation throughout our walks.

Today we walked to this independent video store a few block away from our house so I could rent some movies (the video store is cool with dogs - they even give them dog biscuits). We have to walk through 3 restaurants with outdoor patios and there is minimal space for pedestrians/dogs to walk. When people have their dogs with them on the patio, there is usually an incident resulting in an embarrassing situation.

After relaxing the girls a few times in the beginning of the walk when we saw other dogs - we turned the corner to walk past the last set of outdoor seating. They saw two little dogs they wanted to play with, resulting with them going CRAZY. I knelt down, pushed their butts to the ground until they relaxed.

After a half a minute of calm, I stood up to start the walk again - the girls barked some more. I then caught this woman's NASTY look. She was shooting bullets at me through her judgmental eyes, what I have learned as the bitchy old woman "stink eye."

Being frustrated already with the relentless obstacles my loved pups were putting me through, this "stink eye" put me over the edge. I looked at her dead in the eye and mouthed, "f--- you!"

I wanted her to know she can keep her east coast wicked witch bitchiness to herself. I wish I would have said that my dogs will eventually learn how to behave but you will always be a bitch. Unfortunately this is all I could muster up in the heat of the moment, next time I hope to provide a better come back.

I normally let this stuff role off my back and I also try not to be surrounded with people like her so I don't have to deal with this kind of negative behavior. Sometime it just feels good to bite back! Do you know what I mean?

I welcome any suggestions on how to stop my girls from this bad behavior. Any dog whisperers out there?

No comments: