Friday, January 2, 2009

HOLY COW, MY HERO HARRY CAREY




I watched the Chicago Cubs play every summer, often dreaming of one day playing in the big leagues. I think it is a common dream for kids who play baseball throughout their youth. Harry Carey and Steve Stone were the broadcasters for the Cubs and they were Gods to me. Looking back on it, they really complimented each other, Steve had the great knowledge of the game and Harry was the ultimate bleacher bum.

They were the best in the biz and they taught me the game of baseball, the history of the Cubs and contributed to me becoming a life long fan of the game and the Cubs - so I am very grateful to them.

Harry Carey was the coolest man. He was a Cub fan and a Bud man...he was a ladies man, beer drinker and Cubs enthusiast - all things I aspired to be as a youngster - at least two out of three came true. Harry romanticized the game of baseball and lived, breathed and embodied the game.

I had the opportunity to sit and have my picture taken with him at the 4th Annual Cubs Convention - the first time I attended this event - when I was 10 years old. Meeting him was such a magical moment for me. I remember being really nervous walking up to the stage to meet him. My dad and I went to the Convention for my birthday, his job was to hold my coat and take our picture. I remember thinking this man is a Chicago legend, I am finally going to meet one of my favorite heros! 

I worried about a couple things too, which increased my nervousness - like what if he is a grouchy old man or what if my dad takes a lousy photo - my dream would have been crushed. I guess, even at a young age, I prepared myself for the worst and hoped for the best.

As I walked up to him he shook my hand. He mumbled some sort of greeting, I mumbled something back and had a big smile on my face. He signed my convention badge, asked how I was doing, I said I was really good...I was too nervous to make small talk. My dad took our picture, I said thanks and as I walked away I saw him take a swig of beer. 

Seriously, you gotta love the man! 

No comments: