Monday, October 13, 2008

FOLSOM STREET FAIR: SHOCKING DISPLAYS OF SEXUALITY



A few weeks ago I checked out the Folsom Street Fair - which was my first time attending a leather festival outdoors. Only in San Francisco will you find 10 blocks of whips, dildos, leather harnesses, swings, gags, fisting, anal sex, blow jobs, and God knows what else on the street in broad daylight for all attendees to enjoy.



I was warned it was graphic and like a big train wreck, I was compelled to watch everything. Honestly, the majority of the time I hid behind my camera and acted like any good photo journalist would act, I smiled at everyone and took lots of photos documenting the experience. Unfortunately, the majority of these photos would be deemed obscene for most folks, so they now serve as memories for me.



I want to clarify some of what I saw at this event. There were both men and woman taking part in these sexual acts and both were attending to see the spectacle. There was a lot of men on men, woman on woman action going. But don't count out the men on woman or woman on men. Yes, there are people of both sexes who like to be dominated by others and this event showcased the diverse preferences nicely.

I have to say that people walking around a street festival completely naked was bizarre for me, but by the end of the 10 blocks I was immune to it all, like nothing I saw after the initial 5 blocks would shock me.

Not sure how I will display the great images I took. Maybe I will incorporate them into a photo gallery show I will do someday once I feel like I am ready to show my work.

No comments: