Wednesday, February 25, 2009

PULITZER PRIZE WINNING PHOTOGRAPHY AT WASHINGTON DC'S NEWSEUM


The Newseum turned out to be an unexpected treasure of yesterday's photographic journey through Washington DC.

While riding in a taxi to a DC hospital for his work appointment, John saw an advertisement for a photography exhibit at 6th and Pennsylvania Ave. After touring around the Capital, White House, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial, I headed to 6th street to check it out. 

I was a little turned around so I went into a hotel and asked the concierge what museum was on that corner and what direction I needed to head in to get there.  He sent me to this new museum called Newseum. This new cultural institution is dedicated to showcasing the history and educating the public about the "news" industry. From newspapers to TV news stations, this museum is chuck full of great exhibits that are right up my alley.  

With only an hour till my train, I only had time to check out the main photography exhibit that featured Pulitzer Prize winning photographs. It was a great exhibit and with my passion for photography - it made a huge impression on me. 

After reading the captions and descriptions of all of the over 150 images on display and watching the complete video companion piece located in the middle of the exhibit, I was inspired by these talented winners of the Pulitzer Prize as they have dedicated their lives for this art of capturing images that tell amazing stories. 

Some won for capturing joyous occasions like a team of woman winning bronze medals at the Olympics in Barcelona and others captured the lowest parts of human existence like a starving little girl doubled over on the ground and a hungry bird looking at her like she's its next meal.



The Pulitzer Prize winning photographer for the above image was Kevin Carter. I was taken in the Sudan and published in the New York Times - 1993. It sparked controversy about what it meant to be a reporter, to be objective, to observe rather than engage, to show the world rather than intervene. This distressing photograph and the painful questions it raised may well have led, in many ways directly, to Carter’s death by suicide in 1994.

This type of career is about more than taking a beautiful photo. It's capturing a major part of history, a moment in time that no one will ever understand through video. Photography has such an impact on explaining our history as a people. I believe photo journalism to be at the very top in importance for the field of photography and after seeing an exhibit like this one, it almost makes me wonder why I haven't gotten into it yet. I have a little bit of experience from my years at my college newspaper and I miss covering a story through my camera. 

1 comment:

AAWG said...

I remember this photo. I can't look at a little bit like that without thinking it is my baby dying there. My little Romana (because she's the smallest, when it's older girls, Like the Vietnamese girl running, soaked in napalm in that iconic photo, I think of Nadja) crumpled over & I get a little ill inside.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken the photo, I would have, but I would have probably held her while she died after I did so.

The bird doesn't bother me. That's life & she won't care once she's dead, but it's the little baby "alone and scared" part that brings me to my knees. Hold the poor thing, so she feels safe as her body gives up. Once she's gone, the bird can eat.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Here's to YOU getting into that museum one of these days!