Sunday, December 14, 2008

THE MONDRIAN HOTEL: FULL OF PLASTIC HIGH SCHOOL BEHAVIOR




Remember those certain people who were "too cool" for high school and wouldn't talk to certain kids because they thought they were a "geek" or a "loser." You would walk by these classmates and if they liked you they would treat you like a human...if they didn't like you, you were dog shit under their Doc Martins.

I'm sure this happens in most high schools across America. It just completely makes me ill to think this had any kind of affect on me and others I love from growing up, but since I remember it so vividly, maybe it did.

On Wednesday John and I took a flight out to LA for a trip that started off as an opportunity to hang with my friend Barb who was suppose to be there for her job at myspace, but since her meeting was canceled and I had this plane ticket, John and I decided to head out there for some fun.

John loves Ian Schraiger hotels. He stayed at his first Schraiger hotel years ago called the Paramount in NYC. He has also stayed at the Morgan in NYC before we met. We have stayed at the Delano in Miami, the Clift in San Francisco and we just got back from the Mondrian in LA.

I have been excited about this trip since we planned it...knowing the customer service at the previous hotels made our trips even more spectacular. Unfortunately we felt we were faced with high school BS when we arrived and throughout our stay at the hotel.

This "plastic" behavior came from LA white boys who worked at this West Hollywood property. We pulled up in a Chevy rental car and the doormen looked at us like we were beneath them to open the door for us and just talked to each other. Didn't say hello and barely looked at us. It brought me right back to high school when I would make eye contact with someone who though their shit didn't stink and would give you the "stink eye." Basically throughout our stay - Wed. - Sat. - the doorman, bell hop, front desk staff, concierge were all total douche bag white boys. We begrudgingly tipped them throughout! The room service staff and housekeepers were totally nice and received large tips at the end of our stay because they were so good at their job.

The hotel was very beautiful. They have taken a minimalist approach to design and added some bold color to warm it up. It is like walking around an exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art. From the balcony looking over the city and above the cool pool/restaurant/bar area to the room's main wall art piece having the TV cleverly hidden behind it, this place pulled out the stops. It's also located on Sunset so it is right in the middle of everything we came for - restaurants and shopping :)

But, I have a huge issue with this rude type of behavior from the staff. Believe me, I am over the classmate BS from high school. It just annoyed John more than anything and since he was annoyed I act like a vicious dog protecting his family. So hopefully the letter I am going to write they hotel will get the mainly hispanic wait staff new jobs at the front of the hotel (wishful thinking, but it would be nice!)

I am sure glad I wasn't one of those "mean girls" in high school because they end up working at the Mondrian Hotel as the valet and bell hops and carry their bad attitudes around instead of our bags. What a hard way to live life!

1 comment:

AAWG said...

neat place! too bad about the staff.

i had a lot of fun scaring the kids who thought their shit didn't stink in high school.